Thursday 4 July 2013

Raw Vegan Lemon & Coconut Bars


I've never before craved lemon like I have been recently. I keep adding lemon rind to my breakfast, it's pretty odd, but delicious. So, I figured I should make some lemon bars to dust off this citrus craving once and for all, after being inspired by ariellelikestocook recipe (I made a variation of her recipe, however I still recommend giving hers a try too as I'm sure they're just as delicious.)
They definitely did the job... lemon cravings are 110% satisfied.
They were absolutely delicious, I really recommend you try them! When they're dairy & refined sugar free, raw, vegan, how could you not?

As lemon rind plays a large role in giving these baby's that lovely lemony-zesty flavour, I thought I'd share some of the many benefits that it provides, which is often lost as we tend to just only use the juice:

Detoxifying  effect on the body- the astringent, antiseptic, as well as the antibiotic properties of the fruit peel, are considered to be good for our skin, making it yet another point in favour of the health benefits of lemon rind.
A source of essential oils- which acts as a rejuvenator and mood enhancer too
Decreases Cholosterol Levels- promoting better heart health.
Improves Bone HealthNeutralizes Free Radicals- free radicals are the unpaired electrons present in the cells of the body. These radicals are responsible for occurrence of certain types of cancers, heart issues, ageing  swelling, and autoimmune diseases. The vitamin C present in this fruit peel plays a very important role in neutralizing the free radicals, thereby preventing the health concerns mentioned above. 
Promotes Healthy Skin
Click here for more 



Makes 4 bars:

For the Crust:
  • 1 and a half cup of oats
  • 1tbsp coconut oil
  • 5-6tbsp agave
  • 1 cup coconut flakes
- Pulse all ingredients together in a food processor untill it looks like pastry dough.
-Spread it in a baking tray lined with greaseproof paper


For the filling:
  • 1 cup soaked cashews (left to soak for 24 hrs)
  • 1/2 banana
  • Lemon rind (of 1 and a half- 2 lemons)
  • Juice of half a lemon
  • 1/2 cup coconut flakes
  • 2-3tbsp agave

-Pulse the cashews in a food processor so that they become a creamy mixture.
-Then add all other ingredients and pulse till smooth.
-Layer this filling over the crust.
-Place in a freezer for 1-2 hours.
-Garnish with more lemon rind for decoration and extra zesty flavour

I love this recipe and hope you will just as much! 

No comments:

Post a Comment